Monday, January 29, 2007

In the early morning of my life

In the early morning of my life, every day was a bright, new adventure. The golden sun shone upon new experiences and new inventions.

By mid-morning I'd noticed the fog. But the sun continued to shine on new thoughts and new strengths.

Noon I did not notice. The fog was thick; all was a blur. Day blurred into day, week into week. Years shuffled past, unheeded.

Now, in the mid-afternoon of my life, the landscape is stark, lighted by a wintry sun. A distant hammering is the sign of single-minded industry. Days run by, but calmly. Pleasant, mindless routine.

What shall the night bring? What storms, what floods? A night of fire or a night of peace?

2 Comments:

At 2/03/2007 8:32 a.m., Blogger OpenJoe said...

Hi Jon. When I saw these last few posts I was motivated to go ahead and join blogger (and google) (which I had thought of doing so many times) and do a comment for you.
I have some trouble remembering that wonder from my early childhood but it is there and I value it highly. I think if we allow ourselves to feel the affinity with our innocent and joyous "first selves" we will find it easier to become like a child again like Jesus said and enter and continue in the kingdom of heaven.

This post reminded me of a passage from Thomas Traherne (17th century English) in his Centuries of Meditations - about his childhood innocence and wonderful connection with Life Itself.

"The skies were mine, and so were the sun and moon and stars, and all the World was mine; and I the only spectator and enjoyer of it. I knew no churlish proprieties, nor bounds, nor divisions: but all properties and divisions were mine: all treasures and the possessors of them. So that with much ado I was corrupted, and made to learn the dirty devices of this world. Which now I unlearn, and become, as it were, a little child again that I may enter into the Kingdom of God."

Thomas Traherne, Centuries: III:3
Public Domain

 
At 2/03/2007 4:12 p.m., Blogger Jonathan said...

OpenJoe - I read the Traherne passage aloud and was moved. Lovely connection you make between the "joyous first self" and "becoming like little children".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home