Friday, March 30, 2007

The term "God" is a bit generic

The term "God" is a bit generic and evokes little emotion in me. But as I worked through the meditations in Joyce Rupp's book this morning, the term "Eternal Parent" sprung to mind. Now this is an evocative image for me - the one who, just before my life began, said, "OK, live"; the one who watched over me during my childhood, was present as I discovered my likes and dislikes, watched my interests deepening, my path becoming more certain. This "Eternal Parent" watches over me still, though I am rarely conscious of it these days.

I suppose "Heavenly Father" is an equivalent term, but I hear it so often that it doesn't carry as much of an emotional punch.

5 Comments:

At 3/30/2007 12:32 p.m., Blogger Ed Gentry said...

I agree. "God" is too generic.

I've heard it said perhaps a good response to the question "Do you believe in god?" is to say "I'm not sure, which god are you referring to?" The point is that Christians believe in the God revealed in Jesus.

 
At 3/30/2007 10:36 p.m., Blogger Jonathan said...

Hi Ed - good point!

 
At 3/31/2007 9:58 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been to meetings that include an 'incantation', not a prayer.

Often it is adressed to the great
spirit.

 
At 3/31/2007 1:07 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ed said:"The point is that Christians believe in the God revealed in Jesus."

hm...if you have a triangle and take one side away, can you say the triangle is revealed in a line?

I like to think of water as comparison. Water can exist as liquid , gas or solid....and is completly interchangable ...and exists in diferent places in all forms at the same time. Life cannot exist without it. On earth life is abundent, to the point, that weeds grow in the purest of conditions and we are encased in an invisible medium made of bacteria. Science spend billions to find life outside of earth and would be thrilled to find the simplest manifestation of an organism.

Is the spiritual search not much like it.....looking for life...the basis of which is water....?

 
At 4/01/2007 12:51 a.m., Blogger Jonathan said...

@anon1 - Sounds like native spirituality, if I'm not mistaken?

@anon2 - What a unique comparison between the spiritual search and the search for life and H2O externus terrestris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home